Sunday, March 23, 2014

Catalyst Athletics Olympic Lifting Seminar - March 22-23, 2014 Monrovia CA

What a weekend. I don't even know where to begin this blog post.

If you read my previous posts, I attended the Catalyst Athletics Olympic Lifting Seminar this weekend, led by none other than Greg Everett himself.  Greg is a published author and independent filmmaker.  He is one the top Olympic Weightlifting coaches, period.  He also hates to travel...which made this seminar in So Cal that much more special.

I have always believed that you get what you put into something...so a seminar like this, I KNEW EXACTLY what I wanted and where I stood in the universe of athletes in the seminar.  As expected 95% of everyone there was a coach or learning to be a coach already.  Some were very new, but most there were pretty much crossfitters or recreational lifters ALREADY. I think there was me and one other guy that were there PURELY FOR EDUCATIONAL FUN.  I had no delusions or ego. I was not going to break any PRs that day.  I wanted to learn to LIFT CORRECTLY and the weight will come later.

I basically lifted the empty bar all weekend and on every couple of sets I would lift probably the equivalent of 95#.

The seminar was held at Team Crossfit Academy in Monrovia CA.  It is a very nice gym...big with lots of equipment.








Greg and the coaches broke down the day like this.

Saturday Day 1 - SNATCH
all day...we learned everything...progressions, how what where when and then learned it again.

Sunday Day 2 - CLEAN AND JERK + Programming
We started the day with a lecture and slides to go over programming.

Now this seminar is a combo for coaches looking to get certified Catalyst lifting coaches. Or you could just attend to attend..like I did.  So this morning session had zero for me...BUT, I thoroughly enjoyed learning about how to program for a weight lifter. It really helps me make sense of what the WOD is and why and rep ranges and volume and intensity etc. For something that I really did not NEED to listen to at all, I got A LOT out of it.  I really enjoyed the lecture.  Here are a couple slides Greg went over...







Greg running the lecture..



Greg brought along his assistant coaches Kara and Mike.


Here is a shot of Mike...
Here is Kara...
Couple candids from the seminar...







Kara going over the progressions for the day....





Greg takes over and goes over what we are to do...




Gotta love those PVC pipes...



Greg going over the clean...




Everyone does a few sets in the progression...




Greg and Mike hanging out...



Angel over here beasting!  Angel is the owner and head coach over at Telegraph Crossfit up in the Bay!



Thank you for everything Greg...I truly learned so much and I would do it again.



FINAL THOUGHTS
I went in at negative zero.   I came out a 1 or 2. I now KNOW what I am doing wrong and can work on it.  Even my non existent FRONT RACK sort of happened today. I keep wrenching and wrenching it in power cleans. I was doing doubles @ 95# over and over and Mike and even Greg saw me and said I was getting better. I even received a "best jerk I have seen from you all day" from Greg. That to me is a win.  I did not totally embarrass myself and I have 10 pages of notes that I need to transcribe so I can really learn it.

I swear if I literally just concentrate on the progressions alone, it would constitute a good 2 week workout.  It is hard to put down everything that happened and all the A-HA moments. I had about 3-4 big light bulb moments that I will carry with me for all my training moving forward.

It was the best experience  I have had in a long time. So happy I had the privilege and honor to get coached by Greg, Kara and Mike.

Quote of the weekend...

"Fuck them for being weak" - Greg Everett

That may be my next T shirt....  =)

2 comments:

Jeremy's unstarted blog said...

nice! be patient and keep at it. The weightlifting thing takes time and patience!

Jeremy Yeung said...

nice! be patient and keep at it. The flexibility takes time, as do the lifts themselves!